Molecular tests are useful for diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of haematological malignancies. The various molecular technologies include FISH, polymerase chain reaction, next generation sequencing etc. Today, we are moving towards personalised cancer therapy based on molecular profiling and prognostic markers predictive of drug sensitivity/resistance and adverse events. In this presentation, noted haematologist, Dr. M.B.Agarwal discusses the clinically relevant molecular biology in leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma.
The various mutations in myeloproliferative neoplasms viz. Bcr-abl, JAK 2, CAL R, MPL, CSF 3R are explained in detail. Dr. Agarwal gives an overview of the molecular biology and testing in various MPNs such as chronic myeloid leukemia, polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia and primary myelofibrosis.
The presentation also includes the molecular biology and testing in myelodysplastic syndrome, paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia, adult B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia, T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Waldenstromm macroglobulinemia and myeloma.
1. Head, Department of Haematology, Bombay Hospital Institute of Medical Sciences, Mumbai
2. Director : Haematology Centre at Ghamat Lodge, 804-A, Dr. B. Ambedkar Road, Dadar TT, Mumbai - 400 014, India
3. Consultant Haematologist
4. Past president : Indian Society of Haematology and Transfusion Medicine 2008-9
5. President : Mumbai Haematology Group, 2008-10
6. Ex-Professor, Division of Haematology, Dept. of Medicine, L.T.M.G. Hospital & L.T.M. Medical College, Sion, Mumbai - 400 022 (Retired)
Present international projects
1)Phase 1 trial : New compound - In patients of multiple myeloma (second relapse) - Piramals
2)Phase 3 trial : Dasatinib vs Imatinib in newly diagnosed patients of chronic myeloid leukaemia - chronic phase (Two arm, open label, randomized trial comparing Dasatinib with Imatinib) - Part of Global trial by BMS
3)Phase IIIB pilot study of efficacy and safety of Anidulafungin in the treatment of candidemia in Asian patients (Part of Global trial by Pfizer)
4)Phase II / III LUCID trial comparing FCR vs FCR + Lumiliximab in relapsed CLL (Part of Global trial by Biogen Idec)